5 Pests That Can Burn a Hole in Your Pocket
No one likes pests. They not only damage the property, scare your children, but also break the bank. You may not realize when a pest take up residence in your kitchen, basement, attic or under the deck. The property damage they can cause will sure to daunt you, but don’t lose hope as there are various safe and cost-effective methods to prevent pests from your property. There are professional pest control services in Halton, always ready to provide you with a ‘pest-free’ home.
Have a look at the pests that can burn a hole in your pocket and some tips on how to prevent them efficiently:
As the temperature rises, termites come out of their homes and start looking for food. And their favorite food is wood. Since, they are extremely small, you won’t be able to see them until it’s too late. In case, you find them here are a few things that you can do to prevent them:
- Seal all the cracks and holes on the outside of the house.
- Immediate repair the leaking faucets.
- Get fixed all the water pipes and AC units that are present outside your home.
- It is advisable to call professionals for termite inspections to detect and prevent termite infestation.
Rodents can gnaw on just anything including electrical wires and insulation. Furthermore, they can gain entry into your house even through the smallest holes and cracks. They can invade your home including duct work, AC units and cause permanent damage. You can prevent rodent infestations by:
- Keeping all the food in air tight containers.
- Keeping your kitchen neat and clean.
- Keeping the garbage bin clear.
- Keeping trash containers clean and sealed, it is an effective method to keep rodents at bay.
3. Bed Bugs
Bed bug infestation can be more than a mere inconvenience. They deprive you of much needed sleep, leading to stress and fatigue. They can hide in mattress, box springs and headboards. You can prevent them from your home by:
- Buying a mattress protector.
- Calling a professional for bed bug extermination services.
- Checking your luggage after a trip.
4. Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants have this notorious habit of digging tunnels into wood structures. They are generally found in window frames, chimneys and crawlspaces. They can form colonies and damage your house in less time. There are some methods prevent them, including:
- Prevent any stagnant water from your property.
- To prevent moisture, use a dehumidifier in attics, crawlspaces or basements.
- Seal all the cracks and holes near the foundation of your home.
- Trimming branches and shrubs in your yard. Branches and shrubs help carpenter ants and other pests to enter homes so trimming them is a great way to ensure no invasion will occur.
5. Carpenter Bees
Carpenter bees are another pest that can wreak havoc on your wooden structures. They don’t eat wood, but create holes to lay their eggs. They get attracted towards aged and soft wood such as cedar and pine. They can even sting if they sense any danger. Here are some methods helping you to prevent them safely:
- Inspect your home for any small holes or piles of sawdust.
- Paint all the wooden structures to provide a protective coating.
Hope these tips will help you protect your home from these pesky pests. For professional assistance, Halton Pest Control is always there for help.