Fleas are one of the most common problems in homes especially those having pets (cats or dogs). They feed on the blood of the host animal leading to irritation and allergy. We, at Burloak Pest Control provide comprehensive flea extermination services to both residential and commercial establishments. Our professionals hold extensive knowledge about different flea species. They use the right product and treatment for complete flea extermination.
- Considered as ectoparasites that transmit disease including plague, typhus etc.
- There are several flea species namely cat, dog, rat, human and squirrel fleas
- They are laterally flattened
- Fleas don’t have wings and cannot fly
- Brownish-black in color but after feeding they take on a reddish hue
- They can jump up to 20 cm vertically and 40 cm horizontally with the help of their long hind legs
- They pierce and suck with their mouthparts.
Habitat and Behavior
- They can survive for a longer period without their primary host (usually pets)
- Adult fleas can survive without blood several months
- Fleas prefer moist atmosphere, whether indoors or outdoors
- Will readily bite humans
- They go through complete metamorphosis (egg, larva, pupa, adult)
- Females feed on the host’s blood before laying eggs that are deposited in the host’s body.
- A female bed bug can produce around 500 eggs in her lifetime
- Larvae require a blood meal for development
Tips for effective fleas management include:
Treating the infested pet
Flea problems mostly originate from an infested cat or dog so, it is important to treat those pets to avoid further infestation. There are insecticides that can be applied directly to the pets including sprays, shampoos, dips etc.
Vacuuming and cleaning of the premises
After treating the pet, make sure you clean the indoor premises as well. Pay due attention on those areas of the home where the pet sleeps, walks or spends its most of the time. Launder all the blankets, rugs, pet bedding in hot soapy water. Vacuum all the carpets, furniture meticulous and put the vacuum cleaner content in a sealed plastic bag.
Spraying infested premises
Depending on the infestation, apply residual insecticides to carpets, baseboards, cracks and other areas to prevent fleas. It is advised to consult professional pest control services for spray treatments. A well trained professional will apply the amount of pesticide required to give effective control.
Burloak Pest Control Services provide fast, effective pest control services while taking care of the safety of your family and pets. We aim to get your pets rid of fleas in no time. We have a wide range of effective products that ensure complete flea extermination.